Saturday, February 1, 2014

AN INTERVIEW WITH FURY 161

 
FURY 161 IS A NEW PROJECT COMBINING ELEMENTS OF BLACK NOISE
AND DEATH INDUSTRIAL AS WELL AS PURE SONIC EXPERIMENTATION
TO FORM A NEW ENTITY IN THE UNDERGROUND.FURY 161 IS CORVUS
REX (BLACK CROW KING/PROJECT:VOID/NDE) AND XERXEES BANE
(PIGRAT).


CORVUS:
VOCALS
GUITARS
KEYS











                                             XERXEES:
                                             KEYS
                                             BEATS
                                             LOOPS
                                             SAMPLES
                                            

TRAUMATIC STATIC HAD THE HONOR OF INTERVIEWING
THESE BLACK HEARTED BEINGS VIA INTERNET.THEY HAD THE
FOLLOWING TO SAY:

TRAUMATIC STATIC:
First of all can you tell us what FURY 161 is all about?
How would you describe your music to those who have yet to
hear it and why should they take time to listen to your
project over countless others?


XERXEES BANE:
How to describe it.....
I'd say there are elements that are incorporated that may 
not necessarily be used in the way we do.Thats not to say
that I think we are solely using those elements, but I dont,
or havent heard any other artists doing it quite as we do.

CORVUS REX:
we like to mix things up, we approach it with the idea of warping sound.

XERXEES BANE:
Yes, a mutation process.

 CORVUS REX:
as you may have noticed on listening to the album there is a lot going on in it
we want to engage the listener and keep them as interested as possible.


TRAUMATIC STATIC:
So you guys have never met in person...Where are you both
from, How did you meet and what has it been like working
with each other from such a long distance?


XERXEES BANE:
I initially became aware of Project Void via a link that Corvus
posted on Theologian's wall. I checked out the link, liked what I heard
and established contact, we started communicating on a regular basis after
Corvus posted that he had joined NDE, who I liked.
Corvus asked me did I do any sounds of my own, which I did,
namely, Pigrat, I sent him a few bits n piecs and he saw potential in them.

CORVUS REX:
working together has been very easy,
we understand what the music needs and and what we need to bring to the table,
there is also no band leader as such it is 50 /50 on everything. We do have plans
to meet in person this year...as for where I am from, well lets just say I live
in Ireland but am not from there.

XERXEES BANE:
I live in South Wales, and to quote Big Black Kerosene -
never anything to do in this town.

TRAUMATIC STATIC:
What goes into the creative process for FURY 161?
And CORVUS, do you find it difficult to be involved
with so many projects at once? Or does the creative
energy know no bounds?


 CORVUS REX:
Okay, well we each are continuously making music for Fury,
we will then pass the track on to the other person and see if it is suitable,
the other person will then add their bits to it until we are both happy.
I also write lyrics the whole time and judge what is suitable for the lyrics.

XERXEES BANE:
I'm always writing new things,
some work and get used, some dont and they get saved -
to possibly be cannibalised into newer pieces.

CORVUS REX:
as for juggling bands, well that can be fun,
the trick is to keep everything seperate as much
as possible and not let it contaminate eachother too much.

TRAUMATIC STATIC:
What can you tell us about the upcoming debut album
"Armageddons Maw?" Were you both happy with the end
result?


CORVUS REX:
I am very pleased with it and the label has done a great job on the packaging,
it really looks good. A work to be proud of
we put our heart and souls into this and hopefully it is reflected in the body of work.

XERXEES BANE:
For me this is all new, this is the first album I've ever done,
or co - done, and to see things that I co-wrote being released is quite a good feeling
I also came up with the design for the artwork, whcih was slighty tweaked in places,
and again its really good to see something I created being put out there
I like the idea of keeping it "in house" so to speak, sorta having our own aesthetic
A bit like early Discharge releases, they have their own "style"

TRAUMATIC STATIC:
The lyrics on Armageddons Maw seem to touch on some
common themes with BLACK CROW KING.Was this intentional
or are these just issues you feel so passionate about
that it can't be helped?


CORVUS REX:
there are themes in the lyrics that run through Project: Void,
Black Crow King and Fury 161, I am very passionate about these
things hence the crossover but fury branches out onto other themes
not covered by the other bands. each has it's own lyrical identity
but as you say some things I just feel so passionately about that
they come up over and over again.

XERXEES BANE:
Yeah, was jst going to say that I think some subjects sadly persist,
and they need to be re-iterated, again to use Discharge as an example......
war persists, its only the dates that change.

TRAUMATIC STATIC:
Are they're plans for any live performances in the
future? Or will FURY 161 always remain a "Studio Project?"


CORVUS REX:
no it will remain a studio project as I cannot face a live audience.

XERXEES BANE:
also it terms of how we would do it live...that could proove problematic.

TRAUMATIC STATIC:
Do you see FURY 161 being around for a long time to come or was
this more of an experiement and something you will be moving on
from? If your sticking around what can we look forward to in
the future?


CORVUS REX:
well the plans are to continue, we are planning a split release
with Steel Hook Prosthesis later in the year and have started
work on the 2nd album.

XERXEES BANE:
I certainly see us as being around for the future,
and I think that both Corvus and I gel quite well,
so it seems a bit quixotic to fix that which isnt broken.

CORVUS REX:
Mr. Bane has started on artwork themes for the 2nd album as well
well we are broken but we do it well.

XERXEES BANE:
As for future bits, I've been incorporating wider use of sounds,
ie found sounds etc.

TRAUMATIC STATIC:
Do you find it difficult to combine so many influences
and different styles as one solid entity? Why did you choose
the combination of styles you choose and how do they enhance
or aid to your goals with FURY 161?


CORVUS REX:
From my part I don't find it difficult to combine everything,
I think it produces a more interesting final product
I am over simplifying a bit but it does seem relatively easy,
there are some times where there is just that one missing elusive
sound but you work until you find it.

XERXEES BANE:
I dont deliberately try to combine disparate influences,
more so that I'll come up with something, and an idea will just come into my head,
and it may either be of a similar sound t o accompany the original idea,
or it may be something that goes against, or contrasts against the original sound.

CORVUS REX:
contrasts are always good, it highlights the whole piece.

XERXEES BANE:
I can spend hours working on 1 song just to get it right,
and its not uncommon for me to spend in excess of 10 hours writing.

TRAUMATIC STATIC:
What are your views on the Death Industrial/Power Electronics/
and Noise "Scene" Where do you see it heading in the future and
what do you wish to contribute to the cause?


CORVUS REX:
I think it can be like all scenes in that it can stagnate,
there are bands that will just follow the pack and not carve out their own identity,
we are not interested in that, we want to experiment and help carry the scene forward,
inject a bit of something new into it.There are some great bands in the scene make no
mistake about that though.

XERXEES BANE:
Well, in some respects it reminds me of metal 
thats not to say its an offshoot or the like because it isnt,
however there are many styles that get put under the PE/Death Industrial realm,
ie to someone not into/aware of it, they may perceive no disernalbe difference
between artists, say Vomir/TRP/Theologian
To an outsider they may just perceive them as being the same,
whereas once your ear is trained to it, you can make out the differences....
same as when I used to listen to death metal/grindcore in the late 80's/ealr 90's
I could play someone Carcass/Terrorizer and Repulsion and they wouldnt be able to
tell the difference.

TRAUMATIC STATIC:
Endless thanks for your time and insight...Any parting words?


XERXEES BANE:
Hmmm, thank you for making us your 1st interview, and also for your support.

CORVUS REX:
thanks for doing this and for helping spread the word.


FURY 161-ARMAGEDDONS MAW IS AVAILABLE NOW FROM:

http://www.bugscrawlingoutofpeople.com
http://www.facebook.com/bugscrawlingoutofpeople
http://bugscrawlingoutofpeople.bandcamp.com

 
 
PREVIEW THE ALBUM BELOW:
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment